August – December
- Research the University of Charleston and apply for admission.
- Research scholarship opportunities.
- Apply for a FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov
January – June
- As soon as possible after January 1, complete your FAFSA application and use the University of Charleston’s federal school code 003818.
- Receive the Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA federal processor by email. Review and make any needed changes.
- After tax returns are completed, visit www.fafsa.gov to update financial information. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (if eligible) to transfer data directly from the IRS website to your FAFSA.
- Complete any remaining scholarship and financial aid information for the University of Charleston.
- Attend UC Scholarship Days.
- Receive Financial Aid Award Packet.
- Incoming freshmen receive a Financial Aid Packet as early as February.
- Upperclassmen undergraduates and graduate students receive notice as early as May. Students will be notified via their UC Portal.
- Review your estimated award letter. If you decide to attend the University of Charleston, accept and return your award letter.
June – July
- If you are accepting Federal Direct loans, you will need to log in to https://studentloans.gov and complete your Entrance Counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note.
- If you are accepting your Federal Nursing Loan, you will receive an email from ECSI with instructions on how to sign your Master Promissory Note.
- If additional information has been requested from the Financial Aid Office, please provide promptly.
- If additional funding is needed, other loan options may be available, such as Federal PLUS Loans for parents and graduate students.
- Financial aid will post to the student’s account after enrollment has been verified. This is usually ten business days after classes begin.
- If your financial aid awards are greater than the amount due, a refund check will be processed by the Student Solutions Center. You will be notified by email.
- If your financial aid awards do not cover your amount due, you will either have to sign up with Tuition Management Service (TMS) or pay out of pocket. All outstanding balances must be paid by check-in day.
- If federal work-study has been awarded, you will receive a work-study assignment during orientation in late August or early September.
- You may use any excess funding from financial aid to purchase your books at the UC Eagle Shop.