August – December
- Research the University of Charleston and apply for admission.
- Research scholarship opportunities.
- Apply for a FSA ID at https://studentaid.gov/
January – June
- As soon as possible after January 1, complete your FAFSA application and use the University of Charleston’s federal school code 003818.
- Receive the Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA federal processor by email. Review and make any needed changes.
- After tax returns are completed, visit https://studentaid.gov/ to update financial information. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (if eligible) to transfer data directly from the IRS website to your FAFSA.
- Complete any remaining scholarship and financial aid information for the University of Charleston.
- Attend UC Scholarship Days.
- Receive Financial Aid Award Packet.
- Incoming freshmen receive a Financial Aid Packet as early as February.
- Upperclassmen undergraduates and graduate students receive notice as early as May. Students will be notified via their UC Portal.
- Review your estimated award letter. If you decide to attend the University of Charleston, accept and return your award letter.
June – July
- If you are accepting Federal Direct loans, you will need to log in to https://studentaid.gov/ and complete your Entrance Counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note.
- If you are accepting your Federal Nursing Loan, you will receive an email from ECSI with instructions on how to sign your Master Promissory Note.
- If additional information has been requested from the Financial Aid Office, please provide promptly.
- If additional funding is needed, other loan options may be available, such as Federal PLUS Loans for parents and graduate students.
- Financial aid will post to the student’s account after enrollment has been verified. This is usually ten business days after classes begin.
- If your financial aid awards are greater than the amount due, a refund check will be processed by the Student Solutions Center. You will be notified by email.
- If your financial aid awards do not cover your amount due, you can sign up with a monthly payment plan or pay out of pocket. All outstanding balances must be paid by check-in day.
- If federal work-study has been awarded, you will receive a work-study assignment during orientation in late August or early September.
- You may use any excess funding from financial aid to purchase your books at the UC Eagle Shop.