Applying for Financial Aid
While the financial aid process can seem daunting, please remember that we are here to help you through the process. Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.
Financial Aid Process
The FSA ID – a username and password – has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to https://fsaid.ed.gov
- Step A: When logging in to the website, click the link to create an FSA ID.
- Step B: Create a username and password, and enter your e-mail address.
- Step C: Enter you name, date of birth, Social Security number, contact information, and challenge questions and answers.
- Step D: If you have a Federal Student Aid PIN, you will be able to enter it and link it to your FSA ID. You can still create an FSA ID if you have forgotten or do not have a PIN
- Step E: Review your information, and read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Step F: Confirm your e-mail address using the secure code, which will be sent to the email address you entered when you created your FSA ID. Once you verify your email address, you can use it instead of your username to log in to the website. You can use your FSA ID to sign a FAFSA right away. Once the Social Security Administration verifies your information in one to three days, or if you have linked your PIN to your FSA ID, you will be able to use your FSA ID to access the website listed above. For help, visit https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/pub/faq.htm.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the next step. Be sure to file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 by visiting https://fafsa.gov. The University of Charleston priority filing date is March 1st.
Students applying for applicable state aid must complete the FAFSA application by the deadline to be considered for state programs. Be sure to add the University of Charleston School code 003818 to your application. See our FAFSA page to find out more.
The Department of Education or UC may select your application to verify the information reported on your FAFSA. You may also be required to submit other documents such as proof of citizenship or selective service registration. The office of financial aid will notify you if these documents are needed.
If you are applying for a student loan, you must complete the Entrance Counseling and submit a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for the Federal Stafford Loan Programs. These can be accessed at https://studentaid.gov/.
Financial Aid Forms may be submitted electronically, faxed or mailed to:
Financial Aid Office
University of Charleston
2300 MacCorkle Avenue, SE
Charleston, WV 25304