Other Academic Options
Show achievement and/or support your passion for a particular topic while earning credit.
Credit for Prior Learning
You can submit evidence of having met Liberal Learning Outcomes (LLOs) or outcomes required by your major through life and/or work experience. If you demonstrate such achievement, you are not required to take courses covering the mastered content, and may receive college credit.
Prior learning may be demonstrated by:
- Advanced Placement (AP) examinations
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Credit by examination
- Self-Acquired Competency (SAC)
- National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs
- International Baccalaureate Degree
- European Patterned Education
- Educational Experiences in the Armed Services
Independent Learning Project
If you are passionate or curious or want to learn more about a specific topic, we offer the opportunity for you to create an Independent Learning Project. These ILPs are student-initiated, student-designed, and student-developed learning experiences, tailored to achieve one or more of the Liberal Learning Outcomes (LLOs). If you are interested in creating your own ILP, talk to your advisor about how to make it happen.
(All ILPs must be approved by the appropriate faculty roundtable(s), and are completed under faculty guidance.)
Examples of ILPs would include:
- Combining coursework with an additional portfolio (learn about building portfolios)
- Combining foreign travel or foreign education with a portfolio or major paper
- Designing and leading implementation of a solution to a major community problem
- Designing and carrying out a program of readings and research on a topic of particular interest
- Designing and conducting a scientific research project
You can also use a portfolio approach to demonstrate the achievement of one or more LLOs. This would be a collection of learning products (papers, artwork, videos, presentations, etc.) used to show mastery of the subject matter.
Achievement of many outcomes may be assessed through a portfolio evaluation (portfolio assessment is required for the Communication outcome). Portfolios may also form an integral part of an Independent Learning Project.