Posted March 17, 2022
Nursing Faculty – Full Time, Associate Degree Program
Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, Capito Department of Nursing – University of Charleston
Full time faculty members teach in the university’s Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program at the Charleston and/or Beckley campus. This position is a 12-month, full-time position. The faculty member will teach theory and clinical courses and assist in the preparation of students for a life of productive work, enlightened living, and community involvement. This position will be for the Beckley Instructional site location.
The faculty member will be responsible for teaching the didactic/theory and clinical experiences as they relate to the foundational concepts of the course objectives and End-of-Program Student Learning Outcomes (EPSLOs).
DUTIES OF THE NURSING INSTRUCTOR:
Be able and willing to commit and adhere to the policies of the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Science, and the Capito Department of Nursing, but not limited to the following:
- Full-time teaching assignment in the Associate Degree Nursing weekend (hybrid) program.
- Maintain a minimum of 5 office hours per week (3 in-seat, 2 online) for advising in addition to on campus office hours as mandated by the Chair, Program Director of Nursing. The designated office hours must be consistent from week to week, and any foreseen variations must be reported/approved by the Chair of the Nursing Department.
- Display required office hours on door and online for students/advisees. A copy of office hours must be forwarded to the department of nursing administrative assistants, and the Program Director of nursing upon the start of each semester.
- Attend all functions and meetings scheduled by the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing.
- Serve on university and departmental committees as assigned.
- Provide instructional and/or non-instructional services as a member of the nursing team specified by the faculty member’s contract.
- Actively participate in the development, evaluation and review of curriculum, services, and activities of the nursing program.
- Actively participate in the self-study and accreditation process for the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and maintain yearly supportive documentation data in addressing standards and criteria.
- Instruct courses in a professional and ethical manner consistent with the University of Charleston and the Capito Department of Nursing.
- Utilize resources consistent with the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing as appropriate to enhance learning.
- Communicate with students, faculty, staff, clinical agencies, and the community in a professional and ethical manner.
- Commit to life-long learning and maintain current competency in subject matter and service or clinical area.
- Participate in scholarly activities including but not limited to professional development and conferences.
- Assume responsibility and accountability for instruction, evaluation of students, planning and implementing curriculum content in the didactic and/or clinical area.
- Establish effective working relationships with personnel from community healthcare agencies.
- Assist the students in the identification and understanding of The University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing policies and procedures pertaining to the student, including, but not limited to:
- Mission and Philosophy
- Student responsibilities and accountability to the University, program, clinical facilities, patients, and accrediting bodies.
- Learning experiences
- Curriculum, instruction, and evaluation throughout the program.
- Maintain a student advising load as determined by the Dean of Health Sciences and/or Chair, Program Director of Nursing. Advising files are to be kept current from semester to semester, and documentation of student contacts/communications are to be placed in the advising file for ongoing evaluation.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION
In accordance with the West Virginia Code 30-7-5a titled ‘Schools of nursing faculty requirements’, in order to acquire a full-time faculty position in nursing, individuals must have a graduate degree with a major in nursing; have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and be enrolled in a graduate degree program with a major in nursing within one year of employment as a faculty member; or have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and at least 10 years of direct patient care experience; have evidence of current experience in nursing practice and education sufficient to demonstrate professional competence. For part-time faculty, all of the previous requirements apply with the exception that the individual must have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and at least two years of direct patient care experience in nursing. Previous teaching experience including proficiency in curriculum development, supervision, instruction, assessment, evaluation and advising in a registered professional nursing program is preferred.
Specific requirements are exhibited as the following:
- MSN required or a BSN and willing to enroll in an MSN program within one year of employment as a faculty member, or a BSN with 10 years of direct patient care experience.
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience in an RN program preferred.
- Recent clinical experience required (2 years in the past 10 years) in Medical Surgical Nursing
- Unencumbered, or ability to obtain an unencumbered WV RN license
- Maintain current RN licensure and certifications
- Offer of employment pending approval by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses
Position needs to be filled by August 1, 2022. Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names of three professional references with contact information (including email address if available) to:
University of Charleston
Amy Bruce, Associate Director of Nursing
2300 MacCorkle Ave. S.E.
Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity employer