Posted March 10, 2023
Business Office, University of Charleston
Responsible for coordinating, planning, maintaining, and reporting all University financial activities and safeguarding University assets including but not limited to financial accounting information systems, reporting of the University’s financial condition, internal controls, compliance, reconcilements, procurement and payment of goods and services, and proper accounting for non-profit entities. This position reports to the Executive VP and Chief Financial Officer.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Oversee employees in fulfilling the following functions: accounts payable, accounts receivable, endowment accounting, payroll, taxes, general ledger, budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Maintain internal controls over cash and other assets.
- Generate timely financial statements monthly, quarterly, and at year end.
- Prepare all information needed for completion of end of year audit with independent auditors.
- Manage cash for university operations.
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll processing.
- Review invoices and schedule for payment.
- Prepare and oversee recording and reconciling of endowment transactions.
- Prepare the university’s annual budget working with vice presidents and other budget managers.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly budget/board financial reports.
- Interface with external investment advisors regarding asset allocation and assist CFO in monitoring.
- Oversee grant accounting and compliance for federal grant programs.
- Review monthly general ledger entries, including entries pertinent to certain federal loan programs.
- Support the reporting and analytical needs of the various divisions of the university.
- Participate in establishing new systems or products and the accounting for such as the need arises.
- Oversee any collection activities of the university.
- Oversee university credit and purchasing cards issued to employees.
- Review and file quarterly/annual payroll tax returns.
- Assist in preparing the annual Form 990 (Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax).
- Assist in preparing the Form 990T (Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return) and payment of estimated quarterly taxes.
- Oversee year-end tax reporting to include: 1099-Misc, 1099R, 1098T, 1099M, 1042S, W2s, or others.
- Assist with annual employee benefit selection process, employee and employer cost sharing schedules, and open enrollment.
- Prepare or review financial and human resource surveys or regulatory reporting for IPEDS, NCAA, CUPA or other external agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required (Accounting or Related Field).
- CPA or Master’s Degree preferred.
- Accounting Experience 5-7 Years.
- Supervisory Experience 3 Years
- Experience in higher education accounting and reporting.
- Numerical proficiency, organization, good problem-solving skills, and excellent use of logic.
- Working knowledge of approved accounting procedures and financial statement audits.
- Microsoft Excel proficiency.
- Excellent communication skills critical for internal and external constituents.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to:
Carin Edwards, Human Resources Specialist
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer