Members of the University of Charleston (UC) Builders serve as ambassadors for the University of Charleston. The organization was established as the Women Builders by President Leonard Riggleman in 1954. In 1990, the organization welcomed men to its membership and voted to adopt the name University of Charleston Builders. President Edwin Welch values the members as builders of the vision and promoters of the image and growth of the University.
The UC Builders has been critical to the continued growth of the University, having donated more than $400,000 over its history for various projects. Members annual dues fund projects that help improve the quality of life for University students. In consultation with the University, members choose a plan and follow it through to completion. The projects have ranged from intellectual stimulation such as the purchase of library books and computer software to physical comforts such as the redecoration of the Student Lounge, Frankenberger Art Gallery, and Appalachian Room.
The Builders host a spring luncheon meeting, a fall luncheon meeting, and three or more Book and Author luncheons annually. The guest speaker for each luncheon typically is either someone associated with the University or a visiting scholar or West Virginia author.
The UC Builders’ success depends on their involved members. With over 250 members, the organization has been able to make a huge difference in the well-being of the University. Meetings are informative, enjoyable, and a great way to make connections.