University of Charleston

*last updated on September 9, 2020

General Campus Information


Is campus open?

Campus is open to students, faculty, and staff.

Is there anything I need to do before coming to campus?

Yes. All employees and students will participate in training that describes UC’s health and safety practices. All employees and students must complete online health and safety training on the SafeCollege platform. They must also complete daily health checks using the LiveSafe app. In addition, all employees and students need to test negative for COVID-19 before coming to campus. Students should contact Dean of Students Virginia Moore and employees should contact Director of Human Resources Janice Gwinn.

Are visitors allowed on campus?

Admissions and athletics visits are welcomed by appointment. All visits should be scheduled in advance. All other visits must be approved, and guests must check in through the Campus Safety and Security Office.

Who should I contact about technology issues?

Contact the Help Desk at


Health & Safety Information


Do I have to have a COVID-19 test before coming to campus?

Yes. COVID-19 testing is required for all students and employees on both the Beckley and Charleston campuses.

Who do I contact if I am not feeling well or am exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms?

Seek medical assistance if you are ill. Employees should report illnesses to Janice Gwinn, Human Resource Director, Students should contact Virginia Moore, Vice President & Dean of Students, These individuals will provide additional guidance if needed. In the event that a health situation warrants COVID-19-related intervention, it will be referred to UC’s Virtual Command Center.

What happens if a student or employee tests positive for COVID-19?

In the event a residential student tests positive for COVID-19 they will follow the University’s Isolation and Quarantine Policy. If a commuter student or employee test positive for COVID-19 they will need to isolate at home and follow health care provider and health department direction. UC will work with the local health department in accordance with all regulatory guidance and applicable laws to ensure that contact tracing occurs if a Beckley or Charleston campus employee or student tests positive for COVID-19.

What measures are being taken to ensure people on campus are healthy?

All UC community members must take responsibility for monitoring their daily health for their own benefit and the safety of their fellow UC community members.

All employees and students are required to perform a daily health self-assessment. Everyone should take their temperature before leaving home or their residence hall each day as part of the daily health screening.

Additionally, everyone will have their temperature checked daily on campus. Anyone whose temperature exceeds 100.4°F will not be permitted to enter academic buildings (Clay Tower, Geary Student Union, Gorman, Innovation Center, Riggleman Hall, School of Pharmacy), the Fitness Center, or athletic venues.

Do I have to wear a face mask or face covering?

Yes. Face masks/coverings must be worn at all times by employees and students in all campus buildings with the exception of individual offices and dormitory rooms. Face coverings should also be worn outdoors when within six feet of others, and during all athletic activities.

What about cleaning campus?

All common areas will be cleaned daily. Surfaces frequently touched by multiple people, such as door handles, bathroom surfaces, and handrails, will be cleaned with soap and water or another detergent at least daily when facilities are in use.

Supplies will be available so that certain high-use surfaces and objects in public spaces, such as recreation equipment, telephones, common printers and copiers, and point of sale keypads, can be cleaned and disinfected before each use.

Is UC practicing physical distancing?

Yes. Employees should avoid office gatherings, break rooms, and unnecessary in-person meetings and socializing in the workplace. Workspaces will be configured and managed to allow for six (6) feet distances.

Meetings should be conducted electronically, even when working on campus. If meetings cannot be conducted virtually, participation should be limited to ten (10) participants while maintaining appropriate physical distancing and wearing of masks or face coverings. The largest available meeting location should be used.

Students should avoid congregating in groups. Learning spaces will be configured and managed to allow for six (6) feet distances.

Maximum occupancy of campus spaces has been marked. Foot traffic flow in hallways and stairwells will be coordinated where possible to minimize congregation and congestion.

Will personal protective equipment (PPE) be provided?

Yes. Hand hygiene supplies are readily available throughout campus. All campus-based employees and students will be provided with washable face masks; however, everyone is encouraged to have additional reusable face masks/coverings for use if theirs get lost or damaged. Gloves, gowns, and other personal protective equipment necessary for labs and health care program training and for custodial, dining, and maintenance services will be provided.

Are there any travel restrictions?

Campus-based students and employees are discouraged from traveling.


Academic Calendar Information


When will Fall classes start?

August 24, 2020.

Will there be a Fall break?


Will there be a Thanksgiving break?

Yes. There are no classes the week of November 23, 2020.

Will students return to campus after Thanksgiving break?

No. For Charleston students, courses will continue online only from November 30, 2020 through December 4, 2020, except for students enrolled in the weekend ADN program. Beckley students will continue with in-seat classes, supplemented with online instruction as needed, for the week of November 30th.

When are Fall final exams?

Final exams will be conducted online on December 7-11, 2020.

When is Winter break?

Winter break will begin December 12, 2020 and end on January 10, 2021.

Will there be a December commencement ceremony?

Yes. The December 2020 commencement ceremony will be virtual due to the constraints on having large group gatherings.  Our May 2020 virtual commencement ceremony went exceptionally well, and with that experience under our belt, we are confident the virtual December event will be even better.  Each graduating student will be featured in the ceremony.  Graduating students may still purchase regalia if you would like to be pictured in your cap and gown (and hood for doctoral degree awardees).  We will schedule photo sessions on the Charleston and Beckley campuses later this Fall, and will also accept electronic photo submissions.  More details will be forthcoming from the Communications and Registrar Offices.

What are the key dates for the Spring 2021 semester?

The Spring 2021 semester will begin January 11, 2021. There will be no spring break. Final exams will end April 23, 2021, and commencement is scheduled for April 24, 2021.


Academic & Instruction Information


Are there in-seat classes?

Yes. Classes will be delivered in-seat on both the Beckley and Charleston campuses.

Do professors have office hours?

Yes. Professors will hold virtual office hours.

Can I meet with my advisor?

Yes. Please contact your advisor to schedule a virtual meeting.

What happens in my classes if I get sick?

UC is using a Flex Connect model of instruction. All in-seat class sessions will be live streamed and recorded so students can participate remotely in real-time, and access class sessions after they have occurred.

Do I need a computer?

Yes. All students should have a laptop or notebook computer and a web camera. Check the required computer specifications for your particular degree program or major.

Do I need to wear a face mask or face covering in class?


Is the library open?


Can I get tutoring help?

Yes, by appointment.

Is the Center for Career Development open?

Yes, by appointment.

Are special accommodations available?

Yes. Please contact the Academic Support Center.


Housing & Food Services Information


Are the residence halls open?

Yes. All residence halls have been cleaned and prepared for student arrival. Training on public health measures and signs/symptoms of COVID-19 has been provided to all live-in professionals, including residence directors, residence assistants, security personnel, and others in similar roles. Residential students received specific instructions on cleaning, PPE, and other supplies to bring with them to campus.

Do residential students have roommates?

Students may choose from a variety of housing options. Both single and double occupancy rooms are available.

Are face masks and face coverings required in the residence halls?

Yes. Personal face coverings are required in all areas outside of a resident’s room.

Is temperature screening required when entering and exiting residence halls?

Yes. Temperature screening devices are stationed in each residence hall.

Is laundry available in the residence halls?

Yes. Students have access to free laundry machines in each residence hall.

What dining facilities are open?

All three dining facilities are open. The Dining Hall, Food Court, and Coffee Tavern offer take-away meal service and sit-down dining at adjusted seating capacity in accordance with state and local health official guidance. Seating will be arranged to provide six (6) or more feet of distance between diners. Maximum occupancy will be 50% of normal occupancy. Outdoor seating is also available.

What happens if a student living on campus gets sick?

Any students who are symptomatic of COVID-19 and awaiting test results will be required to quarantine while they await test results as will their roommate if applicable. They will receive telehealth monitoring, meal deliveries, and appropriate supplies.

Any students who are COVID-19 positive will be moved to dedicated isolation spaces that have private rooms and are physically separated from other residential rooms. They will receive telehealth monitoring, meal deliveries, and appropriate supplies.


Other Student Services & Activities


Will there be athletics?

The Mountain East Conference has announced that fall athletic competitions have been postponed until Spring 2021. Winter sports competitions are scheduled to begin after November 1, 2020. UC will continue to follow NCAA and MEC guidelines with regard to athletics. The Athletics Department’s “Always Safety-First Taskforce” has developed plans and procedures for athletic training, practices, competitions, travel, and fan participation.

Is Student Life offering events?

Yes. The Office of Student Life is coordinating activities that comply with physical distancing guidelines and ensure that appropriate face covering, respiratory and hand hygiene are used. Technology-based platforms will be used for larger scale experiences.

Is the Fitness Center open?


Are intramurals being offered?

Yes. Intramural sports activities will be managed to comply with physical distancing guidelines and athletics best practices. Supplies will be available so that equipment and surfaces can be cleaned and disinfected before each use, and that hand hygiene can be practiced before and after activities.

Are there clubs and organizations?


Are health care services available through UC?

Yes. The University is partnering with the Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC) for COVID-19 testing, telemedicine, urgent care, emergency care, hospitalization, and other fee-based services. Please check with your insurance carrier when selecting health care services.

Are counseling services available?

Yes. Students can learn more about counseling services and make appointments by emailing Employees may access the Employee Assistance Program for counseling services provided through Process Strategies by calling 304-941-1599 or by contacting the University’s Human Resources Office.

Is the Essentials Pantry open?