University of Charleston

University of Charleston

There are several grant programs from the Federal Government that generally fall into two categories: need-based (issued to students with levels of financial hardship in paying for college) and merit-based (these are tied to your performance, such as good grades or other achievements).

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is free financial aid money that requires no repayment. It is typically awarded to low-income undergraduate students, and based upon students’ Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the Department of Education.

It can be used for tuition and fees, room and board, transportation, books, supplies and more.

Students must fill out the FAFSA to apply for the Pell Grant. From the FAFSA, applicants will receive a Student Aid Report, which will contain specifics of any federal student aid programs for which the student has been deemed eligible.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

UC participates in the FSEOG program. (Not all schools do.) This grant is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. It is awarded to Federal Pell Grant recipients with zero Expected Family Contribution. The awards are estimated to range from $500 to $1,000.

For more information on these grants and other financial aid help, please feel free to contact our Financial Aid Office.