Physics Adjunct Position
Posted May 7, 2020
Physics Adjunct Position
School of Arts & Sciences, University of Charleston
The University of Charleston is a small private university located in Charleston, West Virginia, a community of approximately 250,000 located in the south-central part of the state.
The Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at the University of Charleston invites application for adjunct position to teach Introductory Physics I and Introductory Physics II to science majors in support of undergraduate majors in Biology and Chemistry. The Pay Range is commensurate with qualifications.
Fall Semester (in-seat): Physics I and related lab. Topics generally covered in this course include most of the topics found in standard introductory physics texts. The areas of study fall under the headings of mechanics, thermodynamics, vibrations and waves. Specific topics are motion in one and two dimensions, forces, energy, momentum, collisions, rotational motion, solids/fluids, thermal processes, vibrations, and sound.
Spring Semester (in-seat): Physics II and related lab. The topics generally covered in this course include most of the topics found in standard introductory physics texts. The topics that are crucial include: electricity, magnetism, light, optics, relativity, quantum physics, atomic physics, and nuclear physics.
- Updating class syllabus
- Using LMS to report grades, post assignments, and communications
- Holding out-of-class conferences with students as required
- Presenting instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course
- Meeting all designated class periods
- Submitting completed mid-semester and final grades
- Grading student assignments and exams in timely manner
- Maintaining communication with students and other faculty members
- Ph.D. in related field or M.S. in content area and demonstrated teaching experience
- A commitment to undergraduate education with expertise in math, physics, or physical chemistry and demonstrated dedication to STEM education
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience teaching undergraduate physics or mathematics classes
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and three (3) references to email@example.com
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer