Nursing Faculty OB/Peds
Posted July 27, 2020
Nursing Faculty OB/Peds – Full Time Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) Program
Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, Capito Department of Nursing – University of Charleston
Full-time faculty member can be assigned to teach either/both in the university’s traditional or weekend programs located at the Charleston and/or Beckley Campuses. The assigned faculty member will teach theory and/or clinical courses and assist in the preparation of students for a life of productive work, enlightened living, and community involvement per the University’s Mission.
The designated faculty member will be responsible for teaching the didactic, theory and/or clinical obstetrics/pediatrics nursing courses. In addition to traditional instruction, the faculty member will also be responsible for maintaining communications with enrolled students via web-based learning management systems provided by the university including but not limited to email, course instruction, implementation, and evaluation methods. The designated faculty member will be responsible for the oversight and instruction of the adjunct personnel clinically assigned to his or her course, and maintain all communications relating to curriculum/clinical as applicable.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Be able and willing to commit and adhere to the policies of the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Science, and the Capito Department of Nursing, but not limited to the following:
- Teach in a traditional and/or weekend program per teaching assignment.
- Maintain the following:
- Traditional faculty must maintain a minimum of 5 office hours per week for advising in addition to on campus office hours as mandated by the Associate Director of Nursing. The designated office hours must be consistent from week to week, and any foreseen variations must be reported/approved by the Assistant Director of Nursing.
- Weekend faculty must maintain a minimum of 3 office hours per weekend for advising in addition to 2 designated hours per week of online availability as mandated by the Associate Director of Nursing. The designated office hours must be consistent from week to week, and any foreseen variations must be reported/approved by the Assistant Director of Nursing.
- Part-time/adjunct faculty must maintain a minimum of 2 hours per week of online availability as mandated by the Associate Director of Nursing. The designated office hours must be consistent from week to week, and any foreseen variations must be reported/approved by the Assistant Director of Nursing and/or the Course Coordinator to whom the faculty report.
- Display required office hours on door and online for students/advisees. A copy of office hours must be forwarded to the department of nursing administrative assistants, and the Associate Director of nursing upon the start of each semester.
- Attend all functions and meetings scheduled by the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing.
- Serve on committees and round tables as assigned.
- Provide instructional and/or non-instructional services as a member of the nursing team specified by the faculty member’s contract.
- Actively participate in the development, evaluation and review of curriculum, services, and activities of the nursing program.
- Actively participate in the self-study and accreditation process for the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and maintain yearly supportive documentation data in addressing standards and criteria.
- Instruct courses in a professional and ethical manner consistent with the University of Charleston and the Capito Department of Nursing.
- Utilize resources consistent with the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing as appropriate to enhance learning.
- Communicate with students, faculty, staff, clinical agencies and the community in a professional and ethical manner.
- Commit to life-long learning and maintain current competency in subject matter and service or clinical area.
- Participate in scholarly activities including but not limited to professional development and conferences.
- Assume responsibility and accountability for instruction, evaluation of students, planning and implementing curriculum content in the didactic and/or clinical area.
- Establish effective working relationships with personnel from community healthcare agencies.
- Assist the students in the identification and understanding of The University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing policies and procedures pertaining to the student, including, but not limited to:
- Mission and Philosophy
- Student responsibilities and accountability to the University, program, clinical facilities, patients and accrediting bodies.
- Learning experiences
- Curriculum, instruction and evaluation throughout the program.
- Maintain a student advising load as determined by the Dean of Health Sciences and/or Associate Director of Nursing. Advising files are to be kept current from semester to semester, and documentation of student contacts/communications are to be placed in the advising file for ongoing evaluation.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
In accordance with the West Virginia Code 30-7-5a titled ‘Schools of nursing faculty requirements’, in order to acquire a full-time faculty position in nursing, individuals must have a graduate degree with a major in nursing; have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and be enrolled in a graduate degree program with a major in nursing within one year of employment as a faculty member; or have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and at least 10 years of direct patient care experience with an emphasis in obstetrics and pediatrics nursing; have evidence of current experience in nursing practice and education sufficient to demonstrate professional competence. For part-time faculty, all of the previous requirements apply with the exception that the individual must have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and at least two years of direct patient care experience in nursing. Previous teaching experience including proficiency in curriculum development, supervision, instruction, assessment, evaluation and advising in a registered professional nursing program is preferred.
Specific requirements are exhibited as the following:
- MSN required or a BSN and willing to enroll in an MSN program within one year of employment as a faculty member, or a BSN with 10 years of direct patient care experience;
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience in an RN program preferred;
- Recent clinical experience required (2 years in the past 10 years) in Medical Surgical Nursing
- Unencumbered, or ability to obtain an unencumbered WV RN license
- Maintain current RN licensure and certifications
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Mail resumes, references, and application to:
University of Charleston
Attn: Amy Bruce
2300 MacCorkle Avenue SE
Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer