Tamer E. Fandy, Ph.D., BCGP, FCP
Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical and Administrative Sciences, Professor
- Postdoctoral fellow, hematologic malignancies, Johns Hopkins University
- Ph.D., Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Maryland
- M.Sc., Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Southern California
- B.S., Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Cairo University
My laboratory focuses on both basic and translational research in the field of molecular epigenetics and experimental therapeutics. I am interested in dissecting the molecular changes associated with drugs that target the epigenome (epigenetic modifiers) and how these changes contribute to their antitumor effect. Current projects in the lab include:
- Genome wide DNA methylation and histone modifications profiling in hematologic malignancies.
- Development of DNA methylation inhibitors.
- Development of rational combinations of epigenetic modifiers as antitumor agents.
- Investigating the potential of dietary agents that target the epigenome in cancer chemoprevention and therapy.
For a complete list of publications, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Fandy+T
- Elsibai H, Kullany M, Fandy TE (2022). Management of Parkinson’s disease psychosis. Sr Care Pharm Aug 1;37(8):339-344. doi: 10.4140/TCP.n.2022.339.
- Hamed A, Fandy TE, Tkaczuk KL, Verspoor K, Lee BS (2022). COVID-19 drug repurposing: a network-based framework for exploring biomedical literature and clinical trials for possible treatments. Pharmaceutics. Mar 4;14(3):567.
- Malkaram S, Shatnawi A, Fan J, Carraway H, Denvir J, Primerano D, Abd Elmageed Z, Fandy TE (2022). Differential histone posttranslational modifications induced by DNA hypomethylating agents. Cancer Control. Jan-Dec;29:10732748221074051. doi: 10.1177/10732748221074051.
- Elwaie T, Abbas S, Aly E, George RF, Ali H , Fandy TE, ElSayed K, Abd Elmageed Z, Ali H (2020). HER2 Kinase-Targeted Breast Cancer Therapy: Design, Synthesis, In vitro and In vivo Evaluation of Novel Lapatinib Congeners as Selective and Potent HER2 Inhibitors with Favorable Metabolic Stability. J Med Chem. Dec 24;63(24):15906-15945.
- Carraway HE, Malkaram SA, Cen Y, Shatnawi A, Fan J, Ali HEA, Abd Elmageed ZY, Buttolph T, Denvir J, Primerano DA, Fandy TE (2020). Activation of SIRT6 by DNA hypomethylating agents and clinical consequences on combination therapy in leukemia. Sci Rep. Jun 25;10(1):10325.
- Shatnawi A, Malkaram S, Fandy TE, Tsouko E (2019). Identification of the inhibitor of growth protein 4 (ING4) as a potential target in prostate cancer therapy. Mol Cell Biochem. 464(1-2):153-167.
- Hedrich WD, Fandy TE, Wang H, Hassan HE (2018). Antibody drug conjugates: changing the chemotherapy landscape. Clin Pharmacokinet. Jun;57(6):687-703
- Gunasekara DC, Zheng MM, Mojtahed T, Woods, JR, Fandy TE, Riofski MV, Glackin CA, Hassan HE, Krishner J, Colby DA (2016). 15-Methylene-Eburnamonine Kills Leukemic Stem Cells and Reduces Engraftment in a Humanized Bone Marrow Xenograft Mouse Model of Leukemia. Chem Med Chem Nov 7;11(21):2392-2397.
- Hassan H, Keita J-A, Narayan L, Brady S, Fredrick R, Carlson S, Glass K, Buttolph T, Fandy TE (2016). The combination of dimethoxycurcumin with DNA methylation inhibitor enhances gene re-expression of tumor suppressor genes and antagonizes their cytotoxic effect. Epigenetics. 2016 Sep 2:1-10.
- Fandy TE, Abdullah I, Khayat M, Colby D, Hassan H (2016). In vitro Characterization of Transport and Metabolism of the Alkaloids; Vincamine, Vinpocetine and Eburnamonine. Cancer Chemother and Pharmacol 77(2):259-67.
- Hamed AA, Wu X, Erickson R, Fandy TE (2015). Twitter K-H networks in action: Advancing biomedical literature for drug search. J Biomed Inform. 56:157-68.
- Hassan H, Carlson S, Abdallah I, Buttolph T, Glass KC, Fandy TE (2015). Curcumin and dimethoxycurcumin induced epigenetic changes in leukemia cells. Pharm Res. 32(3):863-75.
- Fandy TE. Jiemjit A, Thakar M, Rhoden P, Suarez L, Gore SD (2014). Decitabine induces delayed reactive oxygen species (ROS) accumulation in leukemia cells and induces the expression of ROS generating enzymes. Clin Cancer Res. 20(5):1249-58.
- Chahin H, Ekong, B., Fandy TE (2013). Epigenetic Therapy in Malignant and Chronic Diseases. J of Pharmacogenom and Pharmacoproteomics. 118, doi:10.4172/2153-0645.
- Fandy, TE (2012). The sequential combination paradigm in epigenetic therapy. J Pharmacogenom Pharmacoproteomics 3: e124. doi:10.4172/2153-0645.1000e124
- Fandy TE, Gore SD (2010). Epigenetic targets in human neoplasms. Epigenomics 2(2): 221-232.
- Fandy TE, Herman JG, Kerns P, Jiemjit A, Sugar EA, Choi SH, et al. (2009). Early epigenetic changes and DNA damage do not predict clinical response in an overlapping schedule of 5-azacytidine and entinostat in patients with myeloid malignancies. Blood 114(13): 2764-2773.
- Figueroa ME, Skrabanek L, Li Y, Jiemjit A, Fandy TE, Paietta E, et al. (2009). MDS and secondary AML display unique patterns and abundance of aberrant DNA methylation. Blood 114(16): 3448-3458.
- Uddin GM, Fandy TE (2021). DNA methylation inhibitors: Retrospective and perspective view, Advances in Cancer Research, Volume 152, Chapter 5, 205 – 223. Edited by Kenneth D. Tew & Paul B. Fisher, Academic Press, ISBN 9780128241257.
- Mélin L., Fandy, TE., Gagnon, A (2020). Development of DNA Methyltransferase Inhibitors. In Epigenetic Inhibitors: Targeting Diseases Through the Development of Epigenomic Medicine. Chapter 11. Edited by Eric Campeau, John Wiley & Sons Inc, ISBN 978-1119300243.
- Fandy TE, Leffler M, Khan MF (2020). Medicinal Chemistry of Antiepileptic drugs. In Medicinal Chemistry of Drugs Affecting the Nervous System. Volume 2. Chapter 6. Edited by M.O. Faruk Khan & Ashok Philip, Bentham Science, Sharja, UAE. eISBN: 978-981-14-5407-3.
- Hall C, Fandy TE. Pharmacogenomics and pharmacoepigenomics: impact on therapeutic strategies (2018). In Genomics-Driven Healthcare: Trends in Disease Prevention and Treatment. Edited by Yashwant Pathak, Springer Nature Singapore. Chapter 12, p227-238 ISBN: 978-981-10-7505-6
- Fandy TE. Epigenetic modifications induced by curcumin and its congeners (2016). In Curcumin: Clinical Uses, Health Effects and Potential Complications. Edited by Valeria Martin, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, NY. chapter 4, 83-98.
- Fandy TE, Carraway HE, Gore SD (2007). Modulating gene expression as a therapeutic approach in the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia (AML). In Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, edited by J. Karp, Humana Press, chapter 13, 273-289.
- Soccer & Swimming