David Gene Bowyer, R.Ph.
Department Chair of Pharmacy Practice
- BS in Pharmacy from West Virginia University (1984)
- “NEW MEDICATION STRATEGIES FOR PUBLIC EMPLOYEES” FELICE B. JOSEPH, KAREN BOCHNA, DAVID BOWYER, S. SURESH MADHAVAN, GERALD D. ROUECHE, JR. SPECTRUM, THE JOURNAL OF STATE GOVERNMENT VOLUME 78 NUMBER 2 PAGE 41-43
- “ASSESSMENT OF PHARMACY MANPOWER AND SERVICES IN WEST VIRGINIA” EVAN T. ROBINSON, R.PH., PH.D., DAVID G. BOWYER, R. PH. RESEARCH IN SOCIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE PHARMACY VOLUME 2, ISSUE 3, SEPTEMBER 2006, PAGES 359-369
- “BOARD OF PHARMACY REGULATIONS REGARDING PHARMACY INTERNS” DAVID BOWYER,WEST VIRGINIA BOARD OF PHARMACY NEWS, SEPTEMBER 2012
- “THE CHANGING LANDSCAPE OF PHARMACY MANPOWER IN THE UNITED STATES: ONE STATE’S EXPERIENCE BETWEEN 2005 AND 2011” DAVID LATIF, FADI M. ALKHATEEB, MICHELLE EASTON AND DAVID BOWYER, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PHARMACY AND INTEGRATED LIFE SCIENCES, VOL:1(3) FEBRUARY 2013 PP 59-68.
- MANUSCRIPT REVIEWER; CURRENTS IN PHARMACY TEACHING AND LEARNING, , JULY 2010-PRESENT
- BOOK REVIEWER; “SECURING AND EXCELLING IN A PHARMACY RESIDENCY” CROUCH, MICHAEL A. PUBLISHED BY JONES AND BARTLETT LEARNING; 2012
- “SURVEY OF STUDENT PERCEPTIONS REGARDING CIVIC ENGAGEMENT BEFORE AND AFTER PARTICIPATION IN A COMMUNITY BASED EXPERIENTIAL PROGRAM” DAVID BOWYER, R.PH (PI), EVAN T. ROBINSON, R.PH., PH.D.
- “CONSUMER ATTITUDES AND BELIEFS ABOUT PHARMACY SERVICES” DAVID BOWYER, R.PH (PI), DR. DAVID LATIF, PH.D, DR. KRISTA CAPEHART, PHARMD, DR. JULIE TESTMAN, PHARMD.
- “USING A 2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION ASSIGNMENT TO IMPROVE PARTICIPATION IN THE CO-CURRICULAR ADVOCACY THREAD“ DR. MICHELLE R. EASTON, PHARMD, DAVID BOWYER, R.PH, AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGES OF PHARMACY MEETING, BOSTON, MA, JULY 2009
- “ASSESSMENT OF PHARMACY MANPOWER IN WEST VIRGINIA”. LATIF DA, ALKHATEEB FM, EASTON M, BOWYER D, BOTTORFF M. AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGES OF PHARMACY MEETING, SAN ANTONIO, TX, JULY 2011.
- “STATE-WIDE COMPARISON OF HOSPITAL SURVEY RESPONSES TO THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF HEALTH-SYSTEM PHARMACISTS (ASHP) PHARMACY PRACTICE MODEL INITIATIVE (PPMI) SELF-ASSESSMENT” R. BRIAN DYE, PHARM.D. CANDIDATE, DOUGLAS SLAIN, PHARM.D., BCPS, FASHP, VICTORIA CAPOZZI, PHARM.D. CANDIDATE, KIRSTEN GARMIN, PHARM.D. CANDIDATE, DAVID BOWYER, R.PH. AMERICAN SOCIETY OF HEALTH-SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MID-YEAR CLINICAL MEETING, ORLANDO, FL, DECEMBER 2013
- “GETTING AN ADVOCACY CAMPAIGN OFF THE GROUND” WEST VIRGINIA PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING, STONEWALL RESORT, WESTON, WV, OCTOBER 2007
- “ASSESSING COMMUNICATION SKILLS OF PHARMACY STUDENTS” WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MEETING, CHARLESTON, WV APRIL 2008
- “THE BASICS AND BENEFITS OF PRECEPTING STUDENTS” 2ND ANNUAL PHARMACIST DEVELOPMENT SYMPOSIUM, CHARLESTON, WV OCTOBER 2008
- “IMMUNIZATIONS AND THE PHARMACY CODE” WEST VIRGINIA PUBLIC HEALTH SYMPOSIUM, CHARLESTON, WV NOVEMBER, 2008
- “2009 WV PHARMACY LEGISLATIVE/LAW UPDATE” WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MEETING, MORGANTOWN, WV APRIL 2009
- “ASSESSING STUDENT PERFORMANCE:IT’S MORE THAN NUMBERS ON AN EVALUATION FORM” WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MEETING, MORGANTOWN, WV APRIL 2009
- “PRECEPTING PEARLS FOR ENHANCING THE STUDENT PRACTICE EXPERIENCE” (FACILIATOR) WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MEETING, CHARLESTON, WV APRIL 2010
- “PROVIDING ACTIVE LEARNING EXPERIENCE IN THE PRACTICE SITE” WEST VIRGINIA PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING, STONEWALL RESORT, WESTON, WV, SEPTEMBER 2010
- “OVERVIEW OF WV REVISED PHARMACY PRACTICE RENEWAL AND NEW RULES”
- WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MEETING, MORGANTOWN,WV APRIL 2011
- “ROLE OF THE PHARMACIST IN VACCINE DELIVERY” WV IMMUNIZATION SUMMIT 2011, CHARLESTON, WV, JUNE 2011 (CO-PRESENTED WITH DR. MARY EULER)
- “INTEGRATING STUDENT PHARMACISTS INTO COMMUNITY PRACTICE SETTINGS” (FACILIATOR) WEST VIRGINIA PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING, CHARLESTON, WV OCTOBER 2011
- “WHAT DO YOU DO IF…? A REVIEW OF POLICIES ANDPROCEDURES FOR EARLY PHARMACY PRACTICE EXPERIENCE” 5TH ANNUAL PHARMACIST DEVELOPMENT SYMPOSIUM, CHARLESTON, WV NOVEMBER 2011
- “OVERVIEW OF 2012 WV LAWS AND RULES RELATEDTO PHARMACY PRACTICE” WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACISTS MEETING, CHARLESTON,WV APRIL 2012 (CO-PRESENTED WITH DAVID E. POTTERS,JD AND DR. KRISTY LUCAS)
- “VACCINE UPDATE AND REFRESHER FOR IMMUNIZATIONS:2012” WV IMMUNIZATION SUMMIT 2012, CHARLESTON, WV, JUNE 2012 (CO-PRESENTED WITH DR. KRISTA CAPEHART)
- “BASICS AND BENEFITS OR PRECEPTING” WEST VIRGINIA PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING, STONEWALL RESORT, WESTON, WV, SEPTEMBER 2012
- “PHARMACY-BASED VACCINATION: IMPLEMENTING A PROGRAM” HANCOCK COUNTY (WV) PHARMACIST ASSOCIATION, THEO YIANNIS RESTURANT, WEIRTON, WV JANUARY 2013
- “PHARMACY-BASED VACCINATION: IMPLEMENTING A PROGRAM” BELMONT-JEFFERSON COUNTY (OH) PHARMACIST ASSOCIATION, GOLDEN CHOPSTICKS RESTURANT, WHEELING, WV JANUARY 2013
- “BASICS AND BENEFITS OR PRECEPTING” WEST VIRGINIA PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION ANNUAL MEETING, WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACIST NEW PRACTITIONERS MEETING, GLADE SPRINGS RESORT, APRIL 2014
- “LESSONS LEARNED FROM A THREE-YEAR COMPETENCY-BASED IPE” STEPHANIE SCHULER, BS; DAVID G BOWYER, RPH; STEVEN J HALM, DO, FAAP, FACP; AMY HOLBROOK, MS, PRESENTED AT THE 15TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL MEETING ON SIMULATION IN HEALTHCARE, NEW ORLEANS, LA, JANUARY 12, 2015
- “WHAT’S NEW IN PHARMACY LAWS”, WEST VIRGINIA SOCIETY OF HEALTH SYSTEM PHARMACIST ANNUAL MEETING, CHARLESTON, WV APRIL 2015 (CO-PRESENTED WITH JANET WOLCOTT, KRISTA CAPEHART, AND BRIAN GALLEGHER)
David G. Bowyer is the Chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice at the University of Charleston School of Pharmacy in Charleston, WV. He received his B.S. in Pharmacy from West Virginia University School of Pharmacy in 1984 and has worked in a variety of practice settings during his pharmacy career, including both hospital and community pharmacy. He has also worked as a consultant pharmacist in the long term care settings. He has served in a variety of offices in the West Virginia Society of Health System Pharmacists as well as serving on several committees with the American Society of Health System Pharmacists and the American Academy of Colleges of Pharmacy. He received the WVSHP Leadership Award in April 2008 and the Distinguished Educator Award in 2014 from the West Virginia Society of Health System Pharmacists.
David has worked primarily in a rural setting for the majority of his career and has developed an interest in improving health care in those areas. He is certified as both an Immunizing Pharmacist and a Medication Therapy Management Pharmacist by the American Pharmacist Association and serves as a trainer for those programs. He was an originator of the West Virginia Pharmacist Care Alliance which is an advocacy organization formed to promote the advancement of pharmacist provided patient care in West Virginia. He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the West Virginia Rural Health Association focusing on rural healthcare access issues in West Virginia. In his spare time (if he has any), he likes to golf and go boating.