University of Charleston School of Pharmacy earns national award
Contest saw participation by 89 health profession schools hosting 370+ events in 14 states, reaching 1.5 million consumers nationwide
Charleston, WV – The National Consumers League (NCL) and its partners announced that the University of Charleston School of Pharmacy is the recipient of the National Creative Interprofessional Team Event Award. This is the sixth year in a row that the UC School of Pharmacy has been recognized for its community outreach and engagement activities related to medication adherence.
The Team Event Award recognizes the combined efforts of the School of Pharmacy, UC Physician Assistant program, UC Nursing and UC Health Promotion programs to deliver a variety of community outreach activities. Top performing teams are honored with a National Award for overall outstanding team achievement, or a Focused Award, which recognizes achievement in the specific areas of health disparity/under-represented community outreach, media/communications outreach, or creative interprofessional team event.
The 2019 Medication Adherence Team Challenge is part of the national Script Your Future public awareness campaign coordinated by NCL with support from its partners and the Challenge sponsors—the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) Foundation, the National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) and the American Pharmacists Association (APhA).
“The Script Your Future Medication Adherence Team Challenge continues to be an innovative avenue for our future healthcare professionals to engage with their local communities,” said Executive Vice President and CEO at AACP Dr. Lucinda L. Maine. “The communications avenues utilized, resources shared, and events held in these communities provide essential information and strategies for patients to improve their medication adherence and ultimately their health outcomes.”
Creative Inter-Professional Team Event Award: University of Charleston School of Pharmacy
The University of Charleston School of Pharmacy partnered with nursing, physician assistant, and health promotions students to organize multiple health fairs and Script Your Future events throughout the Charleston and southern West Virginia regions. Activities included educational segments through The Forest of the Rain Productions, partnering with Appalachian Regional Hospital in Beckley to education patients, social media posts created to engage the community on medication adherence related issues, education younger students (pre-k up to third grade) through the Generation RX program on safe medication use, storage and adherence.
The Team Challenge:
- Is a two-month long competition among health profession student teams and faculty for creating solutions and outreach in their communities to raise awareness about medication adherence as a critical public health issue.
- Is open to all American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) member schools and colleges of pharmacy and their inter-professional partners
- Has a team focus. All participating teams must include at least two schools of health profession, one of which must be a pharmacy school
- Was launched in 2011 as part of the Script Your Future campaign and focuses on medication adherence among patients affected by three chronic conditions — diabetes, respiratory disease, and cardiovascular disease
- Recognizes at least four teams for their efforts to improve medication adherence