Posted May 8, 2013
School of Business & Leadership
Jones Division of Business
The School of Business & Leadership’s Jones Division of Business offers career-oriented programs that prepare broadly educated, analytical thinkers with the knowledge base, ethical grounding, and technology skills necessary to meet the challenges of today’s business environment leading to the Bachelor of Science degree.
Essential Functions of the Position
The University of Charleston’s School of Business and Leadership is seeking to fill the position of Administrative Assistant. Under the supervision of the Dean, School of Business and Leadership, this position provides general support for and assistance to the School of Business and Leadership dean, program coordinators, professors and adjuncts with the following responsibilities:
• Communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the School of Business and Leadership.
• Assist in the coordination of office sponsored events (recruitment visits, applicant interviews, open house events, convocations, awards and honors, first-year orientation, etc.).
• Prepare sensitive office communications.
• Maintain office budgets, generate and execute requisitions/purchase orders/ reimbursements, recurring vouchers, monthly expense reports, reconciliation of monthly budget with online business office report.
• Prepare check requests, purchase orders and expense reports for faculty reimbursement.
• Enter spring, summer and fall class schedules in Datatel for Charleston and Beckley both in seat and online.
• Run active and pending reports from Datatel each semester.
• Candidate must have the ability to abide by confidentiality requirements and expectations.
• Candidate must have the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a busy environment and successfully execute multiple projects.
• Supervise work study students and sign their timesheets.
• Schedule committee meetings, prepare meeting minutes and disseminate correspondence.
• Prepare IDEA evaluation forms for professors— spring and fall semesters. Document student comments in a Word file report for submission to both the Dean and Provost.
• Purchase graduate textbooks thru the online ordering system for the Executive MBA and MFA programs.
• Work with food services to arrange for catering of events and certain graduate classes.
• Order and maintain supply cabinet (copy paper, toner and other office supplies).
• Request adjunct and overload faculty contracts, from the Provost’s office, for the instructors of undergraduate courses and graduate programs, including Executive MBA and MFA.
• Calendar maintenance, scheduling of meetings and corresponding responsibilities for Assistant/Associate Deans.
• Order recognition plaques for graduating senior, honor recipients for the Honors Convocation.
• Order name badges and business cards for faculty in the School.
• Collect and maintain information/data for student and institutional files and prepare reports as applicable.
• Gather information and create reports regarding students’ mid-term academic difficulties each semester. Prepare and disseminate notices to students and their advisors for those with academic difficulties.
• Manually register re-admitted students, add/drop forms, tracking students on leave of absences/suspension.
• Maintain faculty mailboxes, disseminate mail and assist with departmental mailings.
• Maintain conference room schedule/calendar for School of Business and Leadership
• Copy tests and provide administrative support to faculty members for their classes.
• Administer the comprehensive exam to graduating seniors each semester.
• Keep School of Business and Leadership bulletin boards updated.
• Accept and process deposits for students attending the international practicum trip.
• Work closely with professors to proctor make-up tests.
Associates or Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a high-volume, busy work environment is highly desired. Minimum typing speed of 40 wpm, excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented, and the ability to multi-task is a must. Proficient use of MS office products (Word, Access, and Excel) and the World Wide Web is required. Applicant must be dependable, demonstrate good work ethic, be able to excel in a high-volume environment, be able to adapt to a developing environment, have a customer, public-service orientation and willing to work cooperatively in a team environment. In addition, the applicant must have the ability to set priorities, take initiative and work with minimal direction, and exhibit the ability to maintain high professional standards. The position requires data entry and access to sensitive and confidential student information. Applicant must be able to adhere to student confidentiality policies and procedures. Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names of three professional references with contact information (including email address if available) to:
Executive Assistant to Provost
University of Charleston
2300 MacCorkle Ave. SE
Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.