General Freshman Admission Requirements
- Six semesters of high school, with a minimum 2.25 academic grade point average (on a 4-point scale), or GED score of 500 (50 if taken prior to 1/1/2003)
- Minimum composite ACT score of 19 and/or SAT I score of 900 on the re-centered SAT*
- A record of active participation in school or community organizations or events throughout high school
- A commitment to achieving a college degree
*Results of the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) are required of those who graduated from high school (or would have graduated, for those who earned a GED) within five years of the time of application. These tests are also required for all students seeking admission to a health sciences program, and they may be requested of others. The writing sample sections of the ACT and SAT will not be used to determine admission status, but may be used to determine placement.
What to submit
- Completed Undergraduate Application for admission
- Official High school records documenting completion of at least 15 units of academic courses** with grades indicating intellectual ability and promise
- Official GED results with an average score of 50 (prior to January 1, 2003) and 500 or more on the new test (after January 1, 2003), if applicable
- Essay (highly recommended but not required)
**Classes in English, mathematics, social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, and foreign languages are considered by the University of Charleston to be academic courses. Applicants accepted by the University of Charleston must submit proof of graduation to the University's Office of Admissions before they will be allowed to enroll.