Posted: June 18, 2014
The University of Charleston Learning Commons is seeking to fill the 10-month position of Learning Commons Support Specialist.
The Learning Commons Support Specialist provides frontline customer service to the UC student population as well as supports the work of the Director of the Academic Success Center and the Director of Career Services. In addition, the LCSS proctors high-stakes standardized tests, assists with the supervision of a large student tutoring staff, and participates in the creation and implementation of academic and career service programming.
The hours for this position are Monday, Wednesday & Friday 8:30-5pm, Tuesday and Thursday 12-7:30pm. The position is 10 months, August through May.
Application deadline: July 18, 2014
Will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Communicate and interact effectively with visitors, students, faculty and staff
- Assist students with basic student service questions and needs
- Manage Eagle Link and other job-related postings
- Plan and organize information lists for all career programs and presentations
- Schedule on-campus interviews and/or information booths with employers
- Schedule and proctor high-stakes standardized testing
- Assist in the hiring, training and supervision of a large student tutoring staff
- Create and manage peer tutoring calendars
- Create peer tutoring appointments for students
- Manage confidential student records
- Handle employer or UC alumni mailings
- Maintain information for the Academic Success Center and the Career Development Center on the UC website
- Manage office supplies; operate and maintain office equipment
- Maintain office budgets; generate and execute purchase orders; organize files
- Maintain internship database
- Create and maintain systems for collecting data relative to students served by tutoring and career services.
- Provide administrative back-up support to the Office of Student Life
- High School Diploma
- Ability to represent the Learning Commons in a friendly, efficient, and professional manner
- Excellent telephone and interpersonal skills
- Exemplary attendance
- Proven ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and produce detailed and accurate work in a hectic work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing and database work (MS Word and MS Excel)
- Customer service-oriented and must enjoy interacting with students
- Associates or bachelor’s degree
- Experience in student services and/or higher education
- Prior administrative experience
- Experience using an electronic calendaring system (such as Gmail Calendar)
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume and references to:
Director of the Academic Success Center
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.