Posted: March 3, 2014
The Vice President for University Development reports directly to the President and is a member of the University Leadership Team. The Vice President for University Development leads and directs the university’s fundraising activities, donor research and stewardship, and alumni and parent relations. The Vice President also serves as the liaison with the Outreach Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Lead the overall fundraising strategy of the University, including annual fundraising activities, planned gifts cultivation, and capital campaigns.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of prospects, including personal cultivation, solicitation, closing of gifts, and stewardship.
- Build and maintain relationships as a University representative with donors, friends, alumni, and community organizations and individuals both in Charleston and Beckley, West Virginia.
- Support the President’s development activities through the management of contacts, research, and strategy planning.
- Hire, train, supervise, and support all of the members of the University Development Office in a team-focused working environment.
- Support and coordinate board members, administrators, faculty members, and volunteers in raising funds for the University.
- Oversee and coordinate the fundraising activities of all University departments and organizations, including academic departments, student organizations, University Builders, and the University of Charleston Athletic Network.
- Work collegially with other vice presidents and foster productive relationships with all institutional groups.
- Promote the University by conducting cultivation events for donor prospects and by representing the University at social functions.
- Oversee the work of alumni relations, annual fund, major gift solicitation, grant writing, donor research and recognition, record keeping and reporting, and related functions.
- Accept other duties as may be requested.
- Five-plus years of increasing responsibility in fundraising or in a position requiring the same skills and knowledge
- Five-plus years of experience in directing, overseeing, or managing a work team
- Bachelor’s Degree required, advanced degree preferred.
Desired Qualities and Competencies
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work collaboratively
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide management oversight, leadership, and strategic direction
- Confidence and independence in exercising leadership and representing the University to external constituents
- A high level of energy and the intellectual capacity to partner effectively with a President with clear priorities and high expectations
- A self-starter with a sense of urgency, a clear set of priorities, a strong work ethic and the ability to adapt to change
- The ability to be engaging with a wide variety of audiences while gaining their respect and trust
- Comfort in forming and working with clearly identified financial and donor contact goals
- Willingness to travel and to be involved in evening and weekend activities
Salary commensurate with experience and expertise. Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV, and three references (including contact information) to:
Ms. Laura Wellstead
University of Charleston
Office of the President
2300 MacCorkle Ave SE
Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.