Learn more than just English in the University of
Charleston’s ESL program! ESL classes
will prepare you to be successful in a university setting, and we will be there
to help you every step of the way.
Students in the ESL program begin with an orientation to the
campus and community, including an English proficiency test. Based on test scores, each student is placed
in classes designed to prepare him or her to move seamlessly into university
classes taught in English. Topics
include reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, oral communication, American
culture, idioms and literature. The
program can be completed in one to four semesters, depending on each student’s
placement level and academic progress.
The UC ESL program is designed to help you meet and make
friends with students from West Virginia, the U.S., and around the world. ESL students live, eat and enjoy activities
with the rest of the campus, making it easy to make connections that will last
- 18 hours of intensive English instruction per week at UC-Charleston campus
- If you are TOEFL or IELTS scores do not meet our admissions requirements (TOEFL - pBT 500, iBT 61, IELTS 6.0) this program will work for you
- Small classes with personal attention
- Field trips and monthly activities with U.S. and other
- Guaranteed admission to the University of Charleston
upon successful completion of the Advanced Level
- Tuition: $4,950 per semester or $9,900 per academic
Submit International Student Application
- If you are accepted,
you will receive a Letter of Admission, a Reply Form, and an I-20, which allows
you to apply for an F-1 student visa.
- To reserve a space in
the Intensive English Program, please send a $500 non-refundable deposit.
This deposit will be applied toward your tuition.
- Please Note: Deposit refunds will only be granted to those students who have interviewed for and been denied an F-1 Student Visa. For a refund, students must submit documentation to the University of Charleston within 2 weeks of the visa interview.
- Remaining tuition and fees
will be due 10 days prior to the start of classes.
Sample budget (per semester)
Tuition and fees (2013-14)
Living expenses (2013-14)*
Other (international insurance, books and fees)
*Living expenses are based on a double-occupancy room and 19
meals per week
For more information