Posted: October 4, 2013
The University of Charleston Morris Harvey College of Arts and Sciences seeks candidates for our Assistant/Associate Professor of Political Science. The University of Charleston offers degrees within a unique, outcomes-based curriculum at our Charleston, Beckley, and Martinsburg campuses and online. This faculty position is for our Charleston campus.
The Assistant/Associate professor of political science advises students who are majoring in political science, teaches courses within the curriculum, and collaborates with colleagues in the department of Social Sciences on service to the university. The successful candidate will show evidence of ability in the following three areas:
- Teaching: Maintaining a vibrant academic program in political science through appropriate use of technology and contemporary teaching modalities in both in-seat and online courses. In addition, annual assessment of programmatic outcomes is required. This includes contributing to the review of the overall curriculum, individual courses, and all other aspects of the academic program to assure quality.
- Scholarship: Establishing a research program which includes undergraduates in the design, implementation and presentation of research results.
- Service: Contributing as a member of university committees, roundtables, and other entities is encouraged and expected.
Specific duties of the Assistant/Associate Professor of Political Science include:
Participate in Social Science Department activities and events.
- Serve as liaison on behalf of UC with the local media when contacted.
- Model effective teaching skills with an emphasis on infusing technology into the learning environment.
- Mentor undergraduate students on scholarly research projects.
- Collaborate, with other members of the Departmental of Social Sciences, on the development of the academic schedule for the political science program.
- Work in conjunction with the Arts and Sciences Dean to develop descriptions of curricula and courses (as needed), and highlights of student accomplishments for the UC website and for the University Catalog.
- Work in conjunction with the Criminal Justice Program Coordinator to coordinate course offerings as appropriate.
- Work in conjunction with the University Academic Success Center to develop and assess appropriate academic tutoring and other academic support options for Political Science majors.
- Act as an effective representative of the University of Charleston to professional and other groups, benefactors, and extramural funding sources.
- Fulfill a leadership role for the annual observance of Constitution Day.
- Advise Political Science and Public Policy students regarding academic progress and career preparation.
- Provide data to Program Coordinator for preparation of program assessments.
Qualified candidates should possess a doctorate degree in political science (or related field) and a minimum of five years teaching experience. Candidates familiar with outcomes-based curricula are preferred. The candidate must have sufficient accomplishments in teaching, research and service to meet the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor (preferred). Previous administrative experience would be excellent along with exemplary managerial and interpersonal skills, and the willingness to work within a team environment. The successful candidate is expected to teach within his/her area of expertise in the political science program and contribute to the scholarship and service needs of the institution. The position is full-time with faculty rank and salary commensurate with skills and experience. This faculty position reports directly to the Chair, Department of Social Sciences.
The position is available beginning August 15, 2014. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested individuals should provide a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae and three letters of recommendation (electronic correspondence is encouraged) to:
Dr. Barbara Wright
Search Committee Chair. Dean, Morris Harvey College of Arts and Sciences
University of Charleston
2300 MacCorkle Avenue SE
Charleston, West Virginia 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.