PLEASE NOTE:The application deadline for the class starting in January of 2015 has passed. For the class starting in January 2016, the cycle for admissions will begin in mid-April 2015 through the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA).
The University of Charleston PA program requires all Direct Admission candidates to use CASPA for submitting applications. Applications will not be considered until all application materials (completed application, at least 3 letters of reference, official transcripts, and official GRE scores) have been received by CASPA AND VERIFIED. Please note that CASPA recommends applications must be completed (e-submitted, payment received, transcripts received and reference letters received) at least FOUR weeks in advance of the deadline date to ensure the application is VERIFIED on time. Once the complete application has been submitted and VERIFIED by CASPA, Academic Eligibility is determined by the Admissions Coordinator. Academically eligible candidates are then sent the Supplemental Application link via email. The Supplemental Application must be completed and submitted by the August 1st application deadline.
To be considered for an interview, all of the above mentioned materials must be received and VERIFIED prior to the application deadline of midnight on August 1st.
All Direct Admission applicants will be required to have the following to be considered Academically Eligible:
- Completed and VERIFIED
application through the Central Application Service
for Physician Assistants (CASPA), including:
- Three References: Instructions for obtaining reference
letters is available in the online CASPA application portal. It is strongly
recommended that at least one be from a physician or physician assistant. Three
References must be received by CASPA by the application deadline.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts must be submitted directly to CASPA
for verification. The UCPAP will only accept transcripts of additional
coursework that has been completed AFTER the application is verified by CASPA.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of
- The UC PA program
utilizes the CASPA-calculated overall GPA for consideration of eligibility into
the program. CASPA standardizes grades across all institutions and, therefore,
there may be a discrepancy between your institution calculated GPA and the
CASPA calculated GPA.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores received and
verified by CASPA with a combined Verbal and Quantitative score of at least 292
and Analytical Writing of at least 3.0.
All test scores must be sent directly to CASPA by ETS. UC’s CASPA-specific GRE Code is: 8830.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
prior to matriculation
All Fast Track applications will be processed through the UCPA Program online application system. The application cycle will be from February 1 to June 30. Applicants are encouraged to apply following their Freshman or Sophomore year, but may apply at any time during their studies at the University of Charleston. All Fast Track applicants will be required to provide the following completed application materials:
Fast Track ONLY Please have transcripts mailed to:
- Program Application completed through the UC online application portal, the applicant will include:
- Personal Narrative
- Work and Health Care Experience History
- Social Engagement History
- Two References: (Instructions for obtaining reference letters is available in the online UC application portal). It is strongly recommended that at least one be from a physician or physician assistant. At least two letters must be received by the application deadline.
University of Charleston
Physician Assistant Program
2300 MacCorkle Ave SE
Charleston, WV 25304
- SAT or ACT report sent directly to UC. Fast Track applicants are not required to take the GRE as part of their applications. However, they will be required to take the GRE prior to matriculating into the Physician Assistant Program as a condition of their acceptance, if admitted. Fast Track students must have an aggregate (Verbal + Quantitative) score of at least 292 and a GRE Analytical Writing score of at least 3.0 to maintain their seat in the UCPAP. The University of Charleston GRE code is: 5419.
- Students applying through the PA Fast Track program must designate the year he or she plans to matriculate into the PA program. Students who are accepted but unable to complete the pre-matriculation requirements for the year specified will forfeit their seat and will have to reapply for a different entering class.
Foreign Student Applicants
- All applicants for whom English is a second language must submit a copy of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 for the paper based test (PBT) and 80 for the internet based test (IBT). Alternatively, this requirement can be met for UC students through evaluation and recommendation by the University of Charleston’s Director of International & ESL Programs.
- Applicants who have completed coursework and/or obtained a degree from an educational institution outside the United States are required to have their educational credentials evaluated by any National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) accredited services such as World Education Services (WES) or Education Credential Evaluators (ECE). Evaluation reports should be sent directly from the credentialing service to the UC PA Program.
Applications will not be considered until all application materials have been received by the PA program admissions coordinator. All application requirements MUST be received prior to the application deadline.