To be eligible to enroll in student teaching or internship, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Receive full admittance to the Department of Education.
- Submit application approved by the Chair of the Department of Education within the first month of the semester prior to the planned student teaching experience (See application link).
- Complete a minimum of 96 semester hours of appropriate credit with an overall 2.75 GPA if earning a certification area degree or overall GPA of 2.5 if earning a non-certificate area degree.
- Complete at least 3/4 of the total course requirements in one’s teaching content area plus EDUC 320, Integrated Methods course.
- Complete all required professional education and teaching specialization courses with no less than an overall 2.75 GPA if earning a certification area degree or overall GPA of 2.5 if earning a non-certificate area degree.
- Taken and passed the PPST tests (reading, writing, and math) and taken one of the Unit’s comprehensive finals the Principles of Learning and Teaching test (not required for non-certification area degrees).
- Obtain Unit (Division of Arts & Sciences) approval to student teach.
- Demonstrate competence in the content specialization as indicated by performance on the PRAXIS II: Subject Assessment Test(s) and the Principles of Learning and Teaching. In order to graduate passing scores must be received no later than the end of the clinical practice semester (not required for non-certification area degrees).
- Meet all criteria to obtain the required Student Teaching Permit from the West Virginia Department of Education (not required for non-certification area degrees).
Note: Candidates seeking a certification area degree cannot be concurrently enrolled in student teaching and have recorded deficiencies in any academic course work or be seeking to retake PPST measures that were previously failed. Candidates seeking a non-certification area degree cannot be concurrently enrolled in internship and have recorded deficiencies in any academic course work.
Student Teaching Application