William Henkel Carter, MD, FACC
Associate Medical Director
Physician Assistant Program
Physician Assistant Program
- University of Va. BA 1958 Medicine
- University of Edinburgh M.D. 1963 Medicine
Research & Publication
- Letter to Editor, JAMA, August, 2011
- Hager, C.S., Carter, W.H. Idioventricular Rhythm Falsely Presenting as ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction in a Patient with Non-ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction, Journal of Electrocardiology 2005 July; 38(3):204-205.
- Campbell, J.H., Carter, W.H. Letter to the editor, Systematic Overview of Warfarin and its Drug and Food Interaction – Accepted for publication Archives of Internal Medicine, November 2005.
- William H. Carter and Greg Rosencrance Role of the Renin-Angiotensin System in the Pathogenesis of Vascular Disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, Dec 2003; 163: 2791.
- Linsenmeyer, G.J.; Khan, J.H.; Fowler, N.O.; Adopoh, R.J.; Carter, W.H., Adhesive Pericarditis with Unusual Systolic Click, American Heart Journal 1984 108:1062-1063
- Carey, J.P., Burke, A.C., Carter, W.H. Transient Hypereosinophilia in the Infant of a Mother with Hypereosinophilic Syndrome. Archives of Internal Medicine 1982 142:1754-1755
- William H. Carter, Iatroginic Cushing’s Syndrome after Intrapericardial Corticosteroids Therapy Annals of Internal Medicine (1981) 6:706-707
- Gita, Roy, M.D.; Harold Selinger, M.D. and William H. Carter, M.D. Strokes-Adams Attack in Prinzmetal Variant Angina (Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature) The West Virginia Medical Journal 1977; 73: 5-10
- Carter, William H., Pre-Hospital Coronary Care in West Virginia West Virginia Medical Journal, November 1974
- Bowman, C.R. BA and Carter, William H., Pseudo Pacemaker Dysfunction with a Coronary Sinus Pacemaker” American Heart Journal (1973)
- Carter, William H., McIntosh, Henry D., and Orgain, Edward S., “Respiratory Variation of Left Ventricular Ejection Time in Patients with Pericardial Effusion.” American Journal of Cardiology 29:427, 1972
- Carter, William H.; Whalen, Robert E.; and McIntosh, Henry D., “Reversal of Hemodynamic and Phonocardiographic Abnormalities in Idiopathic Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis” American Journal of Cardiology 28:722, 1971
- Carter, William H., Whalen, Robert E., Morris, James J., Jr., and Orgain, Edward S., “Carotid Pulse Tracings in Hypertrophic Subaortic Stenosis” American Heart Journal 82:180, 1971
- “Pericarditis” 1972; Current Therapy (Conn, Howard F.)
- Acute Myocardial Infarction: Setting Priorities for Effectiveness Research” Report of a study by a committee of the Institute of Medicine, Member of twenty-one member committee.
- Christopher Trotter, MD, Jamal H. Khan, MD, Tadeus Kowalski, MD, Asmita Modak, MD, Yahya Siddiqui, MD, P. Scott Lavigne, BSC, Elaine David, RN, EdD, Ramanathan Sampath, MD, William H. Carter, MD – “Short Duration, Oral Amiodarone for Prevention of Atrial Fibrillation Post Heart Surgery”.
- Carter William, H., “Estimation of Shunt Flow in Patients with VSD by Echocardiogram” (Abstract) Circulation 10/73.
- Primary Investigator for TOPCAT Study
- Primary Investigator for PROMISE Studey
- Program Director for ACC Cardiovascular Symposium since ? to January, 2012 30th year as Program Director of Cardiovascular Symposium at Snowshoe
- Co-Director “Stemi Care in First Three Hours”, Oct. 29– Oct. 30, 2009
- 2007 – 2011 Presentations in Beckley, Summersville, Huntington, Lincoln County, Clay County, Calhoun County, Charleston WV.
- Fifteen hours of lectures to MS-3 on chest pain, Stemi, heart failure
- Eight one+ hour sessions with 3rd year medical students teaching physical exam using HARVEY in the Sim lab
- Shanghai, China – Tenth Peoples Hospital, August 4, 2011 – Two presentations: 1) Pre-hospital Stemi Care and 2) Approach for Chest Pain Evaluation – which tests to do
- Bejing, China – Peoples Hospital, August 8, 2011 – Two presentations: 1) Pre-hospital Stemi Care and 2) Approach for Chest Pain Evaluation – which tests to do
- Organize bi-monthly cardiology conference lectures West Virginia University, Department of Medicine 8am Grand Rounds.
- Clinical Rotation for Residents and Third Year Medical Students in Cardiology Clinic.
- Supervision of residents in research projects such as:
- Christopher Trotter et al – amiodarone for atrial fib prevention post heart surgery;
- Asif Khan a) case report and b) BNP post coronary bypass;
- Amy Teleron – I am principal investigator of the Chest Pain Algorithm Study.
- Organize Wednesday two hour didactic multi-discipline conferences – topics such as anticoagulation, heart failure, hypertension in subgroup, etc.