• Credit for Prior Learning

    Students can submit evidence that they already have met Liberal Learning Outcomes (LLOs) or outcomes required by their majors through life and/or work experience.

    Students who can demonstrate achievement of specific outcomes are not required to take courses covering the mastered content, and they may receive college credit.


    Prior learning may be demonstrated by:

    For details, see the Academic Catalog.

    Back to top

    College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit

    The Learning Support Office at the University of Charleston is an open CLEP testing center. Students may be exempted from one or more introductory courses, and be awarded credit for those courses, based on good CLEP scores.

    For more information, contact the Academic Success Center.

    Back to top

    Credit by Examination

    Certain academic departments or programs may develop examinations that allow students to demonstrate mastery of course content. Contact the appropriate academic department to inquire about this option.

    Back to top

    Self-Acquired Competency (SAC)

    SAC credit is academic credit for learning that occurred outside the classroom. Current students or applicants may request SAC credit by submitting a written request and a portfolio documenting mastery of the content area(s) and the outcome(s) to a faculty member or the appropriate faculty roundtable. A faculty member with expertise in the field will evaluate the portfolio and determine whether credit should be granted.

    Back to top

    National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs

    The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs published by the American Council on Education lists credit recommendations for programs and courses sponsored by non-academic organizations to employees or members. In most instances, the University of Charleston will accept these recommendations and award appropriate credit. For more information, contact the Registrar.

    Back to top

    International Baccalaureate Degree

    Students who achieve 5, 6, or 7 in an individual higher level examination may receive credit for an equivalent course at the University of Charleston. Official transcripts must be issued by the International Baccalaureate North American Office.

    Back to top

    European-Patterned Education

    Students may earn up to one year of credit for completing the courses and the national examination for advanced high school work equivalent to a thirteenth year of school, depending on examination results, course syllabi and subjects taken. UC requires an officially certified copy of externally issued exam results showing scores for each exam subject, with an official English translation. Advanced credit is most often awarded for these programs:

    • British GCE Advanced-level or AS-level examinations
    • Canadian (Quebec) two-year College d'enseignement General et Professionnel
    • Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) when two units are completed
    • Danish Studentereksamen
    • Finnish Ylioppilastutkinto
    • French Baccalaureate exams
    • German Abitur exams
    • Hong Kong HKALE
    • Icelandic Studentsprof — Menntaskoli exams
    • Italian Maturita
    • Lebanese Baccalaureate
    • Netherlands Voorbereidend Wetenschappellijk Onderwijs (VWO)
    • Norway Vitnemal
    • Singaporean Advanced-level exams
    • Swedish Fullständigt Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan
    • Swiss Federal Maturite exams
    • Other European Baccalaureate

    Back to top

    Educational Experiences in the Armed Services

    UC often grants credit for military learning experiences based on the recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE), which assesses the applicability of military learning experiences to an educational program. The University may modify the recommendations in accordance with institutional policies and practices.

    Equivalency Credit Transfer. A team of curriculum experts will review service members’ transcripts (JSTs) to determine equivalency credit for military schools and experiences. The UC Leadership curriculum team will also review partner organization’s programs of instruction (POI) to determine equivalency credit. These reviews are reflected in articulation agreements and/or MOUs as appropriate for the partner organization.

    Students seeking credit for educational experiences in the armed services must provide JST transcripts, verified by the services, and evaluated and endorsed by ACE.

    See also the Military Science Program (ROTC) and Veterans at UC.

    Back to top

    Advanced Placement (AP) credit

    Students who receive a score of 4 or 5 on the appropriate College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Examination may get credit as follows:

    AP Test Name

    Credits Equivalent UC Course

    American Government 3 POLS 101

    American Literature 3 ENGL 220

    Art – History of Art 3 ART 123

    Art – General Portfolio 3 (contact Art Program faculty)

    Art – Studio: Drawing 3 ART 100

    Biology (Score of 3-4) 4 NSCI 120

    Biology (Score of 5) 4 BIOL 130

    Calculus - AB 4 MATH 201

    Calculus - BC 4 MATH 202

    Chemistry 8 CHEM 101, CHEM 102

    Computer Science 3 UNIV 111

    Economics – Micro 3 BUSI 201

    Economics – Macro 3 BUSI 202

    English – Composition 3 COMM 101

    English - Literature 3 ENGL 203

    French 6 FREN 101, FREN 102

    German 6 GERM 101, GERM 102

    Government & Politics 6 POLS 101, POLS 102

    History – American 6 HIST 251, HIST 252

    History – European 6 HIST electives

    Introduction to Accounting 6 ACCT 201, ACCT 202

    Introduction to Management 3 MGMT 311

    Music – Theory 3 MUSC 101

    Music – Listening & Literature 3 MUSC 212

    Physics 8 PHSC 201, PHSC 202

    Principles of Marketing MRKT 321

    Psychology 3 PSYC 101

    Spanish 6 SPAN 101, SPAN 102

    Western Civilization 6 HIST 211, HIST 212


    Back to top